Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Having Good Friends Will Help me Sharing time


“Having Good Friends will Help me Choose the Right” Sharing time

August 2012 Week 1
Magnetic spinner was purchased at a teacher's supply store. It is VERY handy for a variety of games!
http://compare.ebay.com/like/200764734854?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

“If we truly want to be tools in the hands of our Heavenly Father in bringing to pass His eternal purposes, we need only to be a friend….The power is in EACH one of us to be a friend. Old and young, rich and poor, educated and humble, in every language and country, we all have the capacity to be a friend.” Elder Marlin J. Jensen, “Friendship: A Gospel Principle” May 1999 http://www.lds.org/ensign/1999/05/friendship-a-gospel-principle?lang=eng&query="a+true+friend"

“And all of us need true friends to love us, to listen to us, to show us the way, and to testify of truth to us…” President Eyring, “True Friends”, April 2002 General Conference http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2002/04/true-friends?lang=eng&query="a+true+friend"

 “Are you a true friend?  Do you know who your true friends are? Remember, the best way to find a true friend is to be one yourself.” http://www.lds.org/new-era/1995/05/fyi-for-your-info?lang=eng&query="a+true+friend" Darrin Lythgoe “FYI- For your info” New Era, May 2005,

So I have brought some extra friends to primary today to help us discover some ways to choose good friends and also become better friends to others. We are going to try and spell a word on the board. We are going to spin the circle of friends and when the spinner lands on a friend, we will meet that friend and earn a letter for the hidden word on the board. (Hangman style). If we have already have earned that letter, we will choose the nearest available letter. At the end, you will find out who MY best friend is.

F- Forgiving

Meet Dalton- “One day when I was walking home from school, my friend accidentally hit me in the face with an ice ball. At first, I got really angry because it hurt. I went home, and later my friend called me and apologized. I was glad that he called and I forgave him. We are still best friends.” Dalton was a forgiving friend. We can forgive our friends when they make mistakes.

Showing Forgiveness, Dalton Y. January 2011, “Trying to be Like Jesus” http://www.lds.org/friend/2011/01/trying-to-be-like-jesus/showing-forgiveness?lang=eng&query=forgiving

R- Respects your Standards

Meet Lisa- Lisa could hardly wait until Stephanie’s birthday party. The invitation promised fun games and tasty refreshments. When all the girls got to Stephanie’s house, Stephanie led them to the garage to play games. The girls took turns swinging at the piñata with a papier-mâché stick …and small candies spilled out, and everyone scrambled for them, laughing and squealing.

“We need some music,” one of the girls said. Stephanie turned on a CD player. The music was loud, and the singer was singing some bad words. Lisa grew more and more uneasy. Finally, she couldn’t stand it any longer. “I need to go home,” she whispered to Stephanie. Stephanie looked surprised. “What’s wrong?”  The music is making me really uncomfortable,” Lisa said. Lisa went to wait outside for her mom. But soon Stephanie and the other girls joined her on the front porch. “We turned off the music,” Stephanie said. “Please don’t leave.” Lisa stood for the right. She stayed true to her standards. And her friends respected her standards.

I-Inspires you to be Christlike

Meet Breanna- “A little while back, my friend and I were going to the girls’ washroom at school to wash our hands. We had just been doing an art project and had paste on our fingers. But when we got to the bathroom the sink was a complete disaster! There was soapy water everywhere. My friend and I quickly decided that we should clean it up before washing our hands. When we finished I felt good inside. I have just been baptized and I knew it was the Holy Ghost giving me that warm feeling. I am trying to act more Christlike every day.” Breanna and her friend inspire others to be Christlike.

E- Example

Meet Megan-“Megan Rasmussen had been taking her nonmember friend Beth to church for years with her. One day, when Beth was 13, she asked her friend if she could meet with the missionaries. Beth says, “I wouldn’t have asked her if it hadn’t been for all my friends’ examples and the joy they had in their lives. I saw the examples of the Rasmussen family and how happy they were and how much love they had in their lives,” Beth says. “I decided I wanted some of that.”  “You never know when somebody will be looking at you… Be a good example 100 percent of the time.” Megan was a good example to her friend and we can be good examples too!


N-Nice and kind

Meet Jeffrey- “Jeffrey  just started kindergarten and is making lots of friends. One day, his teacher told me that the day before, one of the students in his class was having a bad day and was very unhappy. The teacher said that Jeffrey stayed by this student’s side during recess and tried his best to be a good friend. He put his arm around her and comforted her the best he could. At lunchtime, he made sure that he sat next to her, and he helped her open her milk carton and other items in her lunch. Jeffrey’s teacher said that she was very proud of Jeffrey for being a good friend to the girl.” Jeffrey was a nice friend. We can be nice to our friends too!


D-Dependable and loyal

Meet Laura- Laura and Kate were best friends. The two of them included others in their circle of friends. A few of these girls planned a party, inviting all in the group except Kate. Laura, after becoming aware of what had happened, told the others that she would not be able to accept their invitation unless Kate was included. Laura was a loyal, dependable friend and didn’t make her friend feel left out or leave her.

Friend, August 1992- “Kindness is Happiness” by Betty Jo Jepsen http://www.lds.org/friend/1992/08/kindness-is-happiness?lang=eng&query=loyal

CONCLUSION

So I have a picture of MY best friend. (hidden picture of Jesus in a frame) This person is forgiving, even when people did mean things to him. He is always an example, inspires me to be better, is the ultimate standard to follow, is nice and kind and I can always depend on Him to be there for me. His name is Jesus Christ.(show picture) http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_V8vA0ZKjRyo/SZR4H0yookI/AAAAAAAABIE/kZubJGjCRVk/s400/Jesus%20the%20Christ.bmp

“The Prophet President Kimball was a friend of the Savior. (show picture- http://oneclimbs.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Picture-4.png) When he was in the hospital ready to undergo open-heart surgery, his bed was being wheeled down the hall and into the operating room by a young orderly. The young man accidentally smashed his finger between the doorjamb and the bed. The orderly was in pain, and he took in vain the name of the Savior. The prophet, although already sedated, opened his eyes and gently rebuked the orderly: “Young man, don’t say that; He’s my best friend!” http://www.lds.org/friend/1988/02/be-a-friend-of-the-savior?lang=eng&query="be+a+friend+of+the+savior" Robert E. Wells Friend, February 1988 “Be a Friend of the Savior”

John 15: 13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you. Jesus did give up His life for us, His friends. I know that Jesus Christ is our loving friend and we can be a friend by obeying His commandments. In the name of Jesus Christ Amen.


Friend clipart taken from the following sources-







Source for FRIEND “hangman” letters: http://www.lds.org/new-era/1995/05/fyi-for-your-info?lang=eng&query="a+true+friend" Darrin Lythgoe “FYI- For your info” New Era, May 2005,



     You can find a copy of the file named "Sharing time- Friends" at my Skydrive: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=976904c8bfc9a79e&sc=documents&id=976904C8BFC9A79E%21105)

27 comments:

  1. I have to say that your blog is amazing, Thank you so much for the wonderful idea, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this cute idea! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a huge help! Thank you for taking the time to put this together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great ideas! HUGE help in getting my brain working!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so great! Thanks! I was wondering if you had links for the big pictures of the primary friends that spell out friend with the friendship trait on the bottom?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful idea. Thank you so much for sharing! I will be implementing these images and stories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A big thank you for your wonderful ideas

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's my first sharing time, and I was scared to death, UNTIL I read this great idea. Seriously, THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome - what a great help for this lesson! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a wonderful idea and I plan to use it for my sharing time on Sunday. It was so much fun to create and assemble the little "Friends" on the spinning board. Thanks you so much sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your ideas are wonderful. I use your ideas all the time, it helps to make my sharing time the best. The children get so invovled and really enjoy learning about the Savior.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you! Thank You! Teaching sharing time can be overwhelming to a new primary leader. This site has given me great ideas and a good sense of what can be done with the children. No longer dreading my turn to teach :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. OK I am stumped! Why is it a total of 14 pictures? The word FRIEND is 6 letters and then if I double it it would be 12. So I would need 6 pair of shoes correct? or what am I missing?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for this! It looks like you have put a LOT of time and effort into your Sharing Times, and I'm sure the children absolutely love them!

    Your Sharing Time plans are such a help right now. I'm getting my house ready for sale and needed a great Sharing Time - you've saved me so much time and stress, and I'm certain our Aussie kids will love it. THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your idea for sharing time was JUST what i needed! thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much! This is so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for your wonderful ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE this idea! I found out that I have sharing time this Sunday unexpectedly so I jumped on the "loyal internet" to begin finding some ideas for TOMORROW:/ Thanks to you I am saved!!!! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for sharing! This is a perfect compliment to the (very short) lesson plan in the Sharing Time Outline. My Sr. Primary is great at sharing stories and examples from their lives, but I was struggling to know how to present this to Jr. Primary. This is exactly what I was looking for!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I used your stories and graphics today in Sharing Time -- I used them in a matching game. Thanks for all your work -- the children face graphics are really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I used this in sharing time today thank you for all the work. It went really well.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you so much for this idea, it went really well! Thank you for all of your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Which methons do you use to find data for your future entries, which particular search websites do you mostly rely on?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks so much for sharing this idea! I modified it a little bit for our sharing time.. I used the story ideas, but made it all about a week in the life of one boy, with a "choose your own adventure" twist. I'm going to read one part of the story, then have a child pick what the character should do by flipping over the right paper out of two scenarios. One choice is not being a good friend, and the other choice is. When they flip over the right choice it will have one of the "FRIEND" letters, and the word that coincides. When all the letters have been found we'll unscramble to make the word FRIEND. I was thinking at the end we could then flip the letters over and it'll be a big picture of Jesus on the back... but I haven't decided yet. If anyone would want to use the story I edited, I put it in a google doc! https://goo.gl/iiBt7x

    ReplyDelete