Thursday, February 28, 2013

Resurrection Sharing Time


Sharing Time – Because Jesus Christ was Resurrected, I Will Be Resurrected Too.

March 2013, Week 3
 

Before we came to earth we were spirits (Show your hand).  We could move, think, choose, and learn (Wiggle your fingers).  When we came to earth we each received a body (put hand in glove).  We can still move, think, choose, and learn, but now we have wonderful bodies to take care of.  When we die, the body and the spirit separate (take off the glove).  The body can no longer move, but our spirit still lives.  When we are resurrected, our body and our spirit are together again (put on glove), and the body and the spirit will never be separated again.  Jesus was the first one to be resurrected. Jesus died on the cross and was placed in a tomb and on the third day, he rose from the dead.  “Because He was resurrected, all people who have ever lived will be resurrected.  There are many witnesses who saw Jesus after He was resurrected.” (Taken from “Sharing time- I Can Repent and be Happy”, Friend April, 2006 http://www.lds.org/friend/2006/04/sharing-time-i-can-repent-and-be-happy?lang=eng&query=resurrection 

We will hear from some witnesses today!  In the back (or side) of the room is a time machine that will bring back some witnesses from the past to tell you how they know that Jesus was resurrected.  (Invite some members to come dressed up as witnesses.  Each could hold a “snap shot” picture(could frame them) to help enhance their account. 
Example of framed "snap shots". Sheets, towels, ties, and scraps of materials could be used for the dress up clothes.
The more the witnesses act and portray, the more engaged the children will be.)

Time machine ideas:

·         Make the time machine from a large cardboard box – in some areas you can get a refrigerator box for free at a local hardware store – then cut open a door in the front and back.  Place the box at one of the doors to the Primary room.  Keep the primary door open.  The back door of the box will allow the time traveler to come in from the hallway, through the time machine door and into the Primary room.
Here is an awesome example of a time machine! Barbie Longfellow-Ott from the Lake Oswego Oregon Ward made this from a refrigerator box and materials from her garage. Thanks for letting me share your photo!!
 
Other time machine option:
·         Place a decorated sheet (paper or cloth) over a primary door and have the time traveler come in past the sheet

Each time you are ready for the next time traveler you could have the piano play a scale (time machine music) to cue the time traveler to knock on the time machine and enter the Primary room.


MARY MAGDALENE – My name is Mary Magdalene and I know that Jesus Christ was resurrected!  It was a Sunday, and I came to the tomb of Jesus early.  I saw the stone taken away from the sepulchre or tomb.(see John 20:1)  I ran and told Simon Peter and another loved disciple of Jesus Christ that they had taken away the Lord out of the sepulchre and I felt confused where they had laid him.  (see John 20:2) The two disciples ran together and saw the linen clothes lying, but there was no Jesus.  (John 20:3-7)  The disciples went home but I stayed at the sepulchre weeping.  (John 20:11)  I felt such sorrow and sadness.  I looked into the sepulchre and saw two angels and they said to me, “Woman, why weepest thou?”  I answered, “Because they have taken away my Lord, and I know not where they have laid him”.  (John 20:13) And when I said these words I turned around and saw Jesus standing, but I didn’t know it was him.  Jesus said to me, “Woman, why weepest thou? Whom do you seek?”  I thought he was the gardener and I pleaded with him for the body of Jesus.  Just then, Jesus called my name.  I knew it was Him, my Master.  Oh such joy I felt.  (Show picture of “Mary and Resurrected Jesus”) (John 20:15-16) Jesus asked me not to touch Him, but to go and tell the disciples that he had risen from the dead.  (John 20:17) (PICTURE- “Mary and Resurrected Jesus” from Primary picture packet 2-62 or https://www.lds.org/bc/content/shared/content/images/gospel-library/manual/35554/35554_all_037_01-resurrection.jpg)

THOMAS – My name is Thomas and I know that Jesus Christ was resurrected!  Well, not at first… let me explain.  The same day that Mary Magdalene came and told the disciples that she had seen Jesus, Christ the Lord actually appeared to the disciples.  He showed them His wounded hands and side.  (show picture of Resurrected Jesus from GAK 234)  The disciples felt glad that they had seen the resurrected Jesus.  (John 20:19-20) I was not in the room and didn’t get to see Jesus at this time.  When I arrived, the disciples told me they saw Jesus.  I said to them, “Except I shall see in his hands the print of nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hands into his side, I will NOT believe.” (John 20:24-25) I felt doubt.  (Show picture of “Doubting Thomas” from New Era) Eight days later, Jesus did come to me.  He said to me, “Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.” I believed!!!!  “My Lord, and my God”, I felt my faith grow and was happy.  Jesus told me that I believed because I had seen Him, but blessed are those people, like you young people, that believe in Jesus even though you haven’t seen Him.  (John 20:26-29) (PICTURE- “Jesus shows His wounds” from http://store.lds.org/images/estore/products/eng/729_62503000_p_348.jpg   “Doubting Thomas” from https://www.lds.org/bc/content/shared/content/images/gospel-library/magazine/neweralp.nfo:o:953.jpg)

SIMON PETER – My name is Simon Peter and I know that Jesus Christ was resurrected!  I was with some of the disciples of Jesus and I went fishing.  That was my job.  And all night we fished and caught NOTHING!  At morning time, Jesus stood on the shore, but like Mary I was confused.  I didn’t know the man was Jesus.  (show picture of “Simon Peter Sees Jesus”) He asked us if we had caught anything to eat.  We said, “No”, and Jesus said, “Cast the net on the right side of the ship and ye shall find.” I “drew the net to land full of great fishes, an hundred and fifty and three, and for all there was so many…”  Jesus then told me it was Him, I ran in the water to Him.  I felt such gladness inside.  (show picture of “Feed my Sheep”)  We dined on the fish and Jesus asked me to “Feed His Sheep” and become a great missionary.  (John 21:4-6,11-16) (PICTURE-  “Simon Peter sees Jesus” from http://history.lds.org/bc/chweb/content/images/uploads/2012-03-23-temp/david-koch-christ-large.jpg  and then “Feed my Sheep” from http://www.lds.org/bc/content/shared/content/images/gospel-library/magazine/en09apr42b_corry.jpg)

CLEOPAS – My name is Cleopas and I know that Jesus Christ was resurrected!  On the third day after Jesus was crucified, I was walking with another disciple from Jerusalem to a nearby village called Emmaus.  (See Luke 24:13–32.) As we walked, we talked about Jesus, how he had been taken by the Roman soldiers, crucified, and then tenderly placed in the sepulchre, by his friends.  I felt confused because Mary Magdalene had told the disciples that the stone had been rolled away from the sepulchre, which was guarded by soldiers, and that Jesus’ body was gone.  As we walked, another traveler joined us.  He asked us what we were talking about and why I was so sad.  I couldn’t believe that the traveler had not heard about the crucifixion of Jesus.  I told the traveler that the women had gone to the sepulchre and found it empty.  Then the traveler began to talk.  He reminded me of all the scriptures that prophesied that a Savior would come, teach people how to live, then die and rise from the dead, so that all people could live again.  We got near the village of Emmaus.  I asked the traveler to spend the night with us.  He agreed.  As we ate together, I realized that the traveler was the resurrected Jesus.  I remember how happy I was!  (taken from Sharing time: On the Road to Emmaus, Virginia Pearce) (PICTURE- “Road to Emmaus” from Primary picture packet 2-63 or http://www.josephsmith.net/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=7a2572712fddb010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&vgnextoid=f318118dd536c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD)

NEPHITE WOMAN OR MAN – I am a Nephite and I know that Jesus Christ was resurrected!  “For three days thick darkness covered the land of the Nephites.  There was not a glimmer of sunlight or a twinkle of starlight.  Not even a candle would light.” I was frightened listening to the thunder and terrible storms and felt earthquakes shake the ground.  Now in the darkness many people cried and howled.  They wished they had repented.  Suddenly a voice was heard throughout all the land: “Behold, I am Jesus Christ the Son of God.  I created the heavens and the earth, and all things that in them are.  I was with the Father from the beginning.”  We Nephites were so astonished to hear the voice of Jesus that we sat silent for many hours, pondering what we had heard.  Then from heaven we heard a quiet voice. 
We looked up and saw Jesus coming down from heaven until He stood right there with us.  Jesus let me and every other person there touch His hands and feet to feel the places where He had been nailed to the cross.  We all saw and felt for ourselves, we knew He was the resurrected Savior.  We cried, “Hosanna”.  I was overjoyed!  (See 3 Nephi 11, Taken from   http://www.lds.org/friend/2012/09/jesus-visits-the-nephites?lang=eng&query="resurrected+jesus") (PICTURE- “Jesus visits the Nephites” from http://store.lds.org/images/estore/products/eng/659_62047000_p_600.jpg)

 
LATTER DAY MEMBER OPTION #1 – (Invite a ward member who has had a loved one die to come to Primary and briefly share why he or she is thankful for the Resurrection – maybe holding a picture of the loved one. Taken from the 2013 Children’s Sharing time outline)

LATTER DAY MEMBER OPTION #2 – (Arrange an older Primary child to share the following story holding a picture of a baby)  “This is my brother.  His name is David Alan, and he would have been three years old this year.  But when he was born, he couldn’t breathe very well.  He stayed alive in the hospital long enough to have a blessing, and then he died.  I never got to see my brother, and sometimes I’m really sad about that.” (Hold up picture of Jesus) “But because of the Atonement and Resurrection, I don’t have to be sad all the time.  When Jesus died and came back to life, He made it possible for my little brother to one day have a perfect body.  That will happen when Jesus comes back to earth and people are resurrected.  I can hardly wait, because then I will see my little brother again.” (Hold up brother’s picture again.) “I know sometimes people have to die.  My family still gets sad sometimes when we think of David Alan.  But we know that Jesus suffered for our sins, died for us, and was resurrected so that we can be resurrected too.  (taken from http://www.lds.org/friend/2009/04/my-brother-and-the-resurrection?lang=eng&query=resurrection )

 
I have a testimony, like these witnesses we heard today, that Jesus Christ was resurrected and we will be too.  I say these things, in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

 

19 comments:

  1. This is amazing!!! I have been looking at other websites and I haven't been able to find something that really stood out to me, until this! Thank you, thank you. I will be using your ideas this next Sunday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea. I can't wait to use it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this! So well put together

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for sharing with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've got lots of youth in our ward who love acting. I'm asking them to help with this sharing time. It will be a great experience for everyone. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so excited about using this idea in our Primary in a few days. Hope I can pull it all together in time. I already have some of my time travelers committed and am beginning to work on the time machine. Thank you for sharing. I know the children will really love this and learn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this inspired idea. I am focusing on one Mary's witness along with other ideas to teach about Christ's resurrection and what it means to us. I'm keeping things simple and using my scriptures as a starting point instead of a time machine. I'll first introduce the idea that we know the witnesses really lived, and the things in the scriptures are true. I'll be sharing with the children of how reading the scriptures is like seeing the true events unfold in my mind, then I'll ask them to try this with me. I'll begin reading in John 20, then a wonderful Sister will walk in as Mary and share her account. I know this will help them to feel the Spirit. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of explaining how to imagine it in their minds, reading from the scriptures and transitioning to the guest speaker.

      Delete
  8. Another idea someone shared with me for teaching younger children about the resurrection is using the times and seasons: show a twig that looks like it has died, but you can see how it is alive by the bud springing forth on the branch. Every person someday dies and yet, we are all made alive again in Christ. Just like we know spring will come after winter, we know we will live once again with our Spirits and bodies reunited again after death; because of the resurrection.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this idea! Thanks for all your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you! This is a wonderful idea! I don't know what I would do without your help!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi my name is Amelia Phillips from New Zealand I just want to take this time to thank you so much for your awesome site and the excellent ideas that you share with us we just did your sharing time on 17th March we combined both juniors and the seniors together they can sometimes be a handful all together but because of this program that you shared with us they where so absorbed in the witness and what was said we felt the spirit never changed a thing only our time machine could have been better but the important thing is that the children went a way with a better understanding on our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ great love for them again we thank you from the bottom of our hearts we will continue to visit your site you and those that help you will receive many blessing for the great work you are doing AROHANUI from New Zealand

    ReplyDelete
  12. These stories were awesome, and very well put together. We didn't do the time machine part, I just had volunteers read them, but the kids were quite the whole time, and I really like how the accounts were presented. It was a wonderful way to teach them about the different accounts of the the resurrected savior. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! My name is LuAnn Rickson. Thank you so much for sharing your idea's. My husband helped me make a time machine and it was a hit with the primary. I borrowed the 15 year old Sunday School class for the time travelers and I think they really enjoyed it too. I think it is a Primary Sharing time they will remember for a long time. I am going to use the time machine again in September to bring back prophets from the past :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. We decided to use this for our fifth Sunday sharing time as a way to talk about the Resurrection an extra time this month and to focus on it for Easter. We didn't do the time machine part, but I loved the parts you put together with the pictures to show. I will do an introduction to get started and I loved someone else's idea of using the scriptures and imagining the people and then having them come in. Thanks everyone, and thanks to the original idea and hard work!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your ideas. Thank you for all your help and sharing your talents. You will definitely be blessed for it. I have always been working in the Young Women program, but since I have a son I was then called to now work with the Primary. It has been kind of difficult for me since its a different crowd I am working with. These ideas definitely will help me with my sharing time lessons as well as teaching my son at home too. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so perfect! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that this same topic has come up again this year! I have been waiting for the perfect time to make this time machine and am so excited to try it next week. Thanks for taking the time to put this together and for sharing!

    ReplyDelete