Thursday, February 17, 2011

Preparing to Be a Parent ST

Sharing Time- I Will Prepare Now to Become a Mother or Father.
Put the picture of the boy that grows into a dad (Elder Rex Pinegar) and explain the boys in the room are preparing to become righteous fathers. What does a good father do? (Be sensitive to those that do not have a dad around) (A father can be baptized, go to work, goes to church, works in the yard, etc.) What roles do they have? Sing verse of “My Eternal Family” about Fathers?
Put the picture of the girls and the mother. Girls in the room will grow up to be righteous mothers. What makes a good mother? (Prepares food, is baptized, is nice and loving, teaches her children, and even makes mistakes.) Sing verse of “My Eternal Family” about mothers?
To help us become righteous mothers and fathers, the Lord has given us some instructions to follow now, so we will be ready when the time that we are married in the temple and become parents. These instructions or helps from Heavenly Father are called “My Gospel Standards.” These are statements that we promise to live and they are very close to the promises we keep when we enter into the temple as adults.
 One of those statements is “I will honor my parents and do my part to strengthen my family. “
Let’s learn about some of the other Gospel Standards and discover if they help us become righteous mothers and fathers.
I will follow Heavenly Father’s plan for me. (Have child find picture of Plan of Salvation on board) song:? “I Will Follow God’s Plan for me” or “Families Can Be Together Forever” It is important to remember that Heavenly Father’s plan allows our families to be together forever, moms, dads, and their children.
I will remember my baptismal covenant and listen to the Holy Ghost. (Have child find a picture of Baptism. Why is it important for a mom or dad to be baptized? Song option: “Baptism”
I will choose the right. I know I can repent when I make a mistake. (Children fighting) We makes mistakes as children, and we also make them when we become moms and dads. It is important that we say we are sorry for the things that we do wrong and try to be like Jesus. Song- “I’m Trying to be Like Jesus”
I will use the names of Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ reverently. I will not swear or use crude words. (Have child find the picture of Joseph Smith and Heavenly Father and Jesus) We must never shout these names or say them in jokes or as outbursts of frustration.
I will do those things on the Sabbath that will help me feel close to Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.
I will keep my mind and body sacred and pure, and I will not partake of things that are harmful to me. (Have child find picture of the trash can filled with items.)   Song option ”My Body is a Temple
I will dress modestly to show respect for Heavenly Father and myself. Point to clothes (no picture) We have to wear the clothes that will help us be worthy to enter the temple as adults.
I will only read and watch things that are pleasing to Heavenly Father. (Have a child find picture of the family watching conference) There are other things we can watch other than conference, but just have to be careful that the programs help uplift us to become good moms and dads.
I will only listen to music that is pleasing to Heavenly Father.(Find the picture of the sheet music or the children singing at the piano.) Wonderful songs we hear is at Christmas time. Let’s song a song that we learned last week? Or different Christmas song. “Christmas Bells”
I will seek good friends and treat others kindly. (Find the picture of the child sharing the sandwich) We need to treat others kindly now and as moms and dads. Jesus always taught to be kind to others and was a perfect example of how to be.
I will live now to be worthy to go to the temple and do my part to have an eternal family. (Have child find picture of couple going to the temple) If we do all these things and keep the other commandments that Heavenly Father has given us, we will be ready to go to the temple and be married there. Then we can teach our children these gospel standards and start the whole circle over again. Then they will grow up and get married in the temple and then teach THEIR children. Song option: “I’m Going to the Temple
We have a game that will help us remember these Gospel Standards and test whether it is something that will help you on track of being a good mother or father. If it is a good standard that will help prepare us to be good moms and dads then we will put it by the Primary children. If it is not a good thing to do, then we will put it into the trash where it belongs! We will do as many as we have time.
Testimony of becoming a mother and importance of following the Lord’s standards

1 comment: